MTV Canada soon to be no more…

May 11th, 2005 at 12:23 am

CBC.ca is reporting that MTV Canada and the canadian MTV2 will cease broadcasting on June 30th:

The change comes as part of a deal announced Tuesday by CHUM, which counts MuchMusic among its holdings.
CHUM purchased Craig Media late last year, acquiring the two MTV channels in the process.
MTV has now exercised an option it had to sever ties with the CHUM-owned Craig.

All of this is a little less surprising when you remember that CHUM owns and operates MuchMusic (“The Nation [Canada]’s Music Station“) and pads out MuchMusic content with purchased content from MTV, like Newlyweds and Pimp My Ride.

Frankly I didn’t even know that CHUM had purchased MTV Canada and I don’t think I’ve seen the channel since my “60-days of free digital cable channels” promotion ended, which might be an indication in-and-of-itself as to why it’s being shutdown.

Read

7 Responses to “MTV Canada soon to be no more…”

1. Vide)tr)n8t)r says:

Let me amaze you. What are my options here… Change “Razer” (former MTV) to MunchMusic. That’s like “steal from the rich and give to the rich” option.

2. Nova Petersen says:

I think that it is absolutly selfish of CHUM, to think they have the right to change what people like…..many adults do not watch MTV, but alot of Kids (13-18) do, and they also enjoy the programming, I think the whole thing STINKS!!!!

BRING BACK MTV

3. Ella says:

I’m not a fan of Razer either…the programming sucks and is so not youth-oriented. I mean America’s Dumbest Criminals? Let’s leave that for Spike. MTV was awesome even though it lagged behing in programming compared to MTV USA…the shows still rocked and I miss them all!

YAH!! BRING BACK MTV!!

4. CHUM sucks says:

fuck the watered down MTV Canada, just bring the american feed of MTV

5. true says:

actually, it was shut down b/c CHUM purchased Craig Media, which bought the original rights to MTV Canada. Viacom wasn’t too happy with CHUM “owning” MTV as well and exercised its option to terminate the contract with Craig Media. So now we are left with MuchMusic, which is basically just 3 year left-overs from MTV USA.

6. Corey and Trevor says:

THIS RAZER CHANNEL SUCKS SHIT. ITS THE WORST CHANNEL EVER!!! ITS ALL THIS SKATER SHIT ALMOST ALL DAY. MTV WAS WAAAAYYY BETTER. BRING BACK MTV. MTV HAD WICKED SHOWS LIKE JACKASS, PUNK’D, AND PIMP MY RIDE. RAZER PLAYS USELESS SHOWS. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS.

7. If anyone’s checked the new MTV Canada is terrible. It’s all talk and just damn reality shows like Laguna Beach. Why can’t we just get the US MTV?