The simplicity of JailbreakMe.com was just too enticing to pass up. My aging 2G iPod Touch is now “jailbroken,” for the second time this year.
The first time was a few months ago. It took several hours, exhausted my fingers by requiring vulcan-nerve-pinch button presses, and ultimately left me with a device which needed to be factory reset again a day later. One can only wait through so many 3 hour device restores before giving up and moving on.
This time, however, it was simply a matter of browsing to JailbreakMe.com, and “sliding to jailbreak”. Genius. Of course, it uses a PDF/Safari exploit which won’t last beyond the next update (and which, ironically, can currently only be blocked by jailbreaking your device and installing an unauthorized package), so get it while you can.
- LockInfo + Lock Weather Plugin: See the screenshot up and to the right. Important info, at a glance, without having to unlock the device. This should be built into iOS. Currently running in trial mode, but it’s pretty great, I might have to buy it.
- Features 2G: Enables multitasking & home screen wallpaper support. Why the latter isn’t allowed on Touch 2Gs is beyond me.
- Battery life: Of course, this wouldn’t be as much of a problem if I didn’t turn on multitasking using Features 2G.
- Cydia: My god this app is painful to use. Does it really need to reload packages on every open? And the downloading of package information from repositories (I’m looking at you modmyi.com) is just… so… slow… And you still need to wait for another page to load to see any screenshots! Have you guys seen the AppStore? It is the standard you’re being measured against. Step up.
- More to do: This may be related to the pain of use and lack of curation in Cydia, but I aside from the two tweaks above, I can’t find much else I would want to install.
Anyone else have a jailbroken iDevice? Let me know what other packages I should look into in the comments.